8 Nov 2023

Garlic butter prawn bruschetta and Smashed beef pasta [洋食]

Found an out-of-the way cafe that is more roastery than cafe, and decided to try the garlic butter prawn bruschetta.  The description of this breakfast dish is garlic butter prawns, scrambled eggs on sour dough toast and greens.  I was sold on sour dough toast, as sour dough bread is not easily available at the neighbour bakeries.

I was a little surprised when the dish arrived on a flat metal plate.  I wasn't quite expecting that and wondered if the cafe ran out of their normal dishes.  Apparently not, because when I ate that a second time with a lunch companion who ordered this dish, it arrived with the flat metal plate too.  And then I was also surprised at the size of the toast.  Bruschetta is an antipasto, so I thought it was supposed to be small and bite-sized, but my bruschetta came in the form of a slice of a full-sized loaf.

Sitting on the fairly thick slice of sour dough toast was a decently thick layer of fluffy scrambled eggs, and on top of the eggs and hidden by the little mountain of pea sprouts were 5 garlic butter prawns done nicely.

At the price point, a little portion of greens would have been nice, but still the raw pea sprouts provided a counterpoint to the scrambled eggs and prawns, much like a palatte cleanser for me. 


Tried the smashed beef pasta the 2nd time I was at the cafe.  Smashed beef patties with pasta in tomato sauce and parmesan seemed like a good idea.  

My heart sank a little when the pasta arrived.  It had a thickness which I thought looked like it was a little over-cooked for my liking, and indeed it was.  Perhaps I have been a little too fixated on the aglio spaghetti from the seven eleven combini.  It always has the right level of al dente that works for me.


I didn't manage to try the coffee here at both visits, because I was always so overwhelmed by the choices.  There were:
  • double expresso; 17gm coffee, at 23% extraction yield (I don't even known what extraction yield means...I found this webpage explaining about extraction yield, but I'm not quite sure if I understand it)
  • double ristrettos: 17gm coffee, at 17% extraction yield
  • americano: espresso, hot water (this is what I do sometimes when I've had perhaps 2 sips of my espresso and decide to dilute it with water, hoping to dilute the caffeine.  But I never order an americano) 
  • cafe macchiatto: espresso, stain of milk foam, 2 oz
  • cafe macchiatto lumgo: espresso, milk, stain of milk foam, 3oz
  • picollo latte: ristrettos, steam milk, 4 oz
  • flate white: espresso, steam milk, 5oz
  • cappuccino, espresso, foam milk, chocolate powder, 6 oz
  • cafe latte: espresso, steam milk, 7 3/4 oz (I drink this the most, again after 2 - 3 sips of my espresso, I'll find a large mug and add a lot of very hot milk to it, so much so that sometimes, it tastes more of milk...)
  • cafe mocha: espresso, dark chocolate, steam milk, 6 oz
  • caramel mocha: salted caramel, espresso, dark chocolae
  • affogato: vanilla gelato, double espreso, mixed nutsand dried fruits
  • dirty OJ: double espresso, freshly squeezed orange juice....no ice (this seems kinda weird...)
  • sparkling americano: iced americano sparking water
I sat near the coffee machine and saw the barista prepare a drink where he added a lot cold milk into a glass with a shot of espresso.  I thought it was iced latte but I wasn't sure, as the iced latte I bought previously elsewhere was prepared with ice cubes added, which made my drink too diluted towards the end.  The barista explained that at the cafe, ice cubes are not added to ice latte, to prevent the dilution effect.  I am sooooo not returning to the coffee shop that added ice cubes to my iced latte order again...

No comments:

Post a Comment