10 Jun 2023

Avocado BLT Sandwich [洋食]

So I decided to return to the cafe-of-Rangers Eggs to try their Eggs Benedict.  I was even prepared to fork out a little dough to add-on avocado.  But alas, there was no Eggs Benedict that day.  I mean like, did the cafe run out of eggs, or hollandaise sauce, or any of the ingredients for their Eggs Benedict?  Obviously eggs was not the issue, because my companion ordered Rangers Eggs (and I was happy to observe that the plating was tweaked such that the large empty triangular space on my plate the previous visit was reduced quite a fair bit, and my companion was similarly happy that avocado toasts can be priced at a price point that makes it a more egalitarian dish).

I opted for the next best thing on the menu that jumped out at me - the Avocado BLT Sandwich with add-on honey-baked ham.

I wanted to laugh out loud when my sandwich arrived.  On the menu, it was described as smashed avocado, streaky bacon, roasted tomatoes, lettuce and melted cheddar on sourdough toast.  I was expecting all the ingredients to be sandwiched between the two slices of toasts, but a decent layer of avocado was slattered on the top slice of toast, like an open-face sandwich.  Seriously?!  It was as if the cafe wanted its customers to be sure that avocado was present in the sandwich.

The layer of avocado made me happy for the rest of the day.  The other ingredients of the sandwich were just ordinary though.  The streaky bacon was overcooked for me (thus far, the best bacon I have eaten has to be that served during breakfast at the Sada Hotel in Luang Prabang).  The tomatoes did not seem to have been roasted, yet I prefer fresh tomatoes to roasted tomatoes.  The honey baked ham was not exceptional, but provided a nice saltiness to the dish.

The sandwich (without the add-on) is slightly more affordable than Rangers Eggs, and I could eat it again, and hopefully the cafe retains the decent thickness of avocado.

No comments:

Post a Comment