18 Oct 2023

Das Zimmermädchen | Markus Orths | btb

                                                        

I've seen books with the btb label on the spines and they are either categorized as Romans or ab B2, which was scary to me because when I'm still grappling with B1 easy readers, even easy readers labelled ab B2, or worse Roman seem to be an insurmountable mountain.

Das Zimmermädchen had the B2 label, as well as 'Roman' on its cover, which initially made me hesitate to pick it up.  But the font size seem rather large for an ab B2 easy reader/Roman, so I thought I should attempt to read something published by btb, nevermind if I might not understand what I had read.

I was rather surprised that btb is part of the  Penguin-Random House Verlagsgruppe, which meant the publications from btb are quality stuff.

I wasn't sure if I understood Das Zimmermädchen correctly.  A chambermaid who cleans rooms obsessively, even when no guests had stayed in the rooms.  She even hides under the beds when guests are in the room.  So I googled, and was rather glad that I got the gist of the Roman, although I might not have correctly understood the nuances Orths employed in the Roman.  Perhaps Das Zimmermädchen requires another reading after I've progressed further in Wortschatz and Grammatik. 

No comments:

Post a Comment