26 May 2023

Rangers Eggs [洋食]


Brunch food, especially avocado toasts, are usually over-priced for me.  Hence I have never been able to convince myself to indulge in avocado toasts.

This cafe cleverly names its avocado toasts as Rangers Eggs, so the focus is on the poached egg, and perhaps less on the layer of smashed avocado slathered on a thick slab of toasted multigrain toast.  Obviously, it also helped that the Rangers Eggs do not cost as much as what avocado toasts at other brunch cafes might charge.

I was undecided between Eggs Benedict and Rangers Eggs, and in the end, the layer of smashed avocado on the Rangers Eggs (and of course the slightly lower price of the Rangers Eggs as compared to Eggs Benedict) won that little tug-of-war of my little purse strings.

So there are two poached eggs sitting on top of a rather large slab of warm multigrain toast, on which smashed avocado of a decent thickness was slathered over.  There is also tomato salsa toppin the poached eggs and a little salad on the side with sesame dressing (I think).

On the internet, there are different presentations of this dish.  Some photos showed one poached egg on one toast each,   Some photos showed a dab of smashed avocado instead of a slather.  Some showed the yolk oozing.  I think the cafe needs to work on the consistency of this dish, else it may seem like a hit-and-miss on the quantity of the avocado and the doneness of the eggs.  My yolks were certainly not oozing, but rather sticky, perhaps like 75 - 80% cooked.

Nevertheless, at the price point, I am happy with my first avocado toast.  The eggs and toast were filling, and the thickness of the avocado layer was decent.  The salad was not overly dressed.  But perhaps that big empty triangular space on the plate could be worked on, or perhaps a smaller plate could be used instead.  What was I to do with that white space?

No comments:

Post a Comment