1 Mar 2023

Empal Penyat [マレー料理]

On the menu of the Ayam Penyat stall was an unfamiliar dish to me: empal penyat.  I never tried to order me, being happy to stick to the familiar ayam penyat.  Then on two separate occassions, I queued behind customers who ordered empal penyat.  One of the customers ordered sliced beef in English, and it was the same empal penyat that she walked away with.

On the third occassion,  I plucked up the courage to order empal penyat for myself, and am quite intrigued by it.

Definitely empal penyat is pricier than ayam penyat, but I was quite surprised that deep fried marinated thick slices of beef was quite delish.  It is hidden under the heap of crispy bits that also came with ayam penyat, but empal penyat came with an additional non-spicy sauce that I can't figure out what went into it.

Perhaps it may take a few more trips to the ayam penyat stall to figure out the sauce that accompanied the empal penyat.

No comments:

Post a Comment