27 Jul 2019

Four Points by Sheraton Hakodate [Japan]

After a long and ardourous journey from 羽田空港 through the モノレール to 浜松町, JR to 東京, ハヤブサ新幹線 to 新函館北斗駅 and finally 函館ライナー to 函館, it was gratifying to step out of 函館駅 and see Four Points by Sheraton Hakodate just across the road.

The hotel seemed to have been refurnished from older times, because the entrance struck me as very early 平成.  I was half an hour early for check-in, and was prepared to laze at the reception for half and hour but surprise! the room was ready.

At 18m2, the twin room was the same size as that of the Park Royal Hotel THE Haneda, but it looked and felt so much more spacious.  There was plenty of space between the twin beds, even room for a chaise lounge! which was totally useful to lie on, put luggage on, drap clothes over.


There was a what I like to call water spot with plenty of shelf space for the kettle, mugs and glasses.  And the room came with a UCC drip pod (and I didn't have to stay on the premium floor for this)!  Another plus point next to the water spot was a rail with plenty of hangers - always a plus point for me.

 The bathroom was good-sized and bright, but I wished the hotel provided large bottles of toiletries like the Japanese hotels as small-sized toiletries which can't be refilled are not environmentally conscious the way I prefer.  But I guess international chain hotels centralize their toiletries so there is probably nothing the hotel can do about the tiny tubes of shampoo, conditioner and body wash.


View from my room, while not fantastic, was far-reaching, as there seems to be not much need for cramped high-rises unlike in 東京 and 大阪.  It was rather disappointing that 函館 was so 曇りand rainy in Summer.  I was advised against going up the ropeway as the night view of 函館 couldn't be seen on my first night of stay.  Returning to stay at Four Points by Sheraton four days later, the skies were still 曇り and while I was at 元町公園, the clouds surrounding Mount Hakodate started to become threateningly dark and low.


Four Points by Sheraton is conveniently located 1 minute from 函館駅 and diagonally from 函館朝市 with its どんぶり横丁市場.  Turn right from the hotel and along 若松町are plenty of decent food options.

Chose to breakfast at the hotel for both stays and the viking breakfast was good with plenty of choices at small portions (I like that the portions are small so there is less wastage of food) and there is a live ramen station with shredded chashu which was delish.  My favourite item from the viking had to be the Hakodate milk which was surprising easy to drink and not at all cloying or heavy like Australian milk.  I forgot to take a picture of the bottle and now I can't buy it even if I wanted.  

No comments:

Post a Comment