3 Nov 2018

Eating onboard Turkish Airlines [On the plane]

Being on a long-haul flight means eating many meals onboard (and catching up on movies).

This was the first time I flew on Turkish Airlines, and was quite interested in the food served.

I always thought it would be a nice gesture if airlines served a snack or dessert from their countries of origin.  Turkish Airlines didn't share the same sentiment as me, so there was neither Turkish Delight, baklava nor döner on the menu.  Slightly disappointing, although I half suspect all that sugar in a Turkish Delight or baklava would have me bouncing around the plane.

For mains, there was a choice of chicken fricassee with olives and lemon sauce servced with tuscany style vegetables and potato puree or penne with pesto sauce with sauteed mushrooms.  Sides were grilled chicken breast and white eggplant salad and green salad with prawn.  Red velvet cake was the dessert.  The mains were okay, though I didn't remember too much about the taste.  Never did I think that the prawn in the salad was sooo precious, as I never saw a single prawn in the next three weeks after this meal.

The vegetarian option was pasta with brocoli and zucchini, which I liked better.  There were cut fruits too, which were more refreshing that the cake.  

I complained that Singapore Airlines served Haagen Dazs instead of Ben and Jerry'shttp://annettesheft.blogspot.com/2018/02/eating-onboard-singapore-airlines.html.  Well, Turkish Airlines removed that chance of complaint for me.





I was expecting the usual omelette and sausage for breakfast, and was surprised to receive a belgium waffle with vanilla sauce and berry compote with cheese and fruits.  The berry compote was tarty-sweet and I really wished there were two instead of one waffle - how filling can ONE waffle be?


Something boo-boo about Turkish Airlines's meal service:  I asked for homemade lemonade with fresh mint at the first meal service and already the crew had ran out of that.  I requested for pandan cake on the menu but the crew never came back.


For a short flight, a light meal of a tuna sandwich, salad and cherry cake was served.

For the longer flight, I picked the cafe de paris chicken with zucchini, eggplant and red pepper with buttered rice.  The chicken smelted suspiciously like it was spiced with indian spices, and the buttered rice was far too salty (if it tasted so salty in the air, I can only imagine how much saltier it would have tasted on the ground).  The sides were bombay beans in tomato sauce and shepherds salad with wild berry mascarpone.  I have no idea what bombay beans are, but the beans were like oversized baked beans.



Breakfast was scrambled eggs with turkish style spinach pastry with grilled tomato and white cheese, with a side of yoghurt with muesli.  I really like the muesli and would have asked for a second helping if I could.


There were no snacks served, and I was feeling hungry and went to the galley to ask for bread and chocolate milk and voila! A very nice stewardess produced the cacao milk meant for kids for me.  I was initially a little apprehensive as it contained date syrup, but the cacao milk was delicious and stopped my rumbling tummy.

No comments:

Post a Comment