22 Feb 2018

Eating onboard Singapore Airlines [On the plane]

I last flew on Singapore Airlines 4 years ago, which seemed like a really long time.

It seemed like despite being a premium airlines charging fairly premium prices, Singapore Airlines is on a cost-cutting measure.

For a six-hour long flight, only 1 meal was served.  Granted the crew was pretty relaxed about passengers requesting extra packets of nuts at the start of the flight, meal portions seemed to be smaller and I had to request for biscuits and cup noodles to supplement my meal.

There was a choice of Japanese and international.

Japanese was crispy fish with vegetables and rice with plum.  The rice with plum was interesting while the crispy fish with vegetables didn't feel very japanese.  There was decent cold green soba and zensai.  Dessert was rock-hard ice-cream which took a little while to soften enough to be eaten.  I would have preferred a more japanese dessert though.  Taiyaki would have made my day, but I suppose it was too much to expect a decent taiyaki in economy.

International was chicken with potatoes, carrots and some greens.  Again decent but nothing to shout about. 

The second japanese option was gyudon with yuzu.  The beef was salty in the air, so I could image how much saltier it would have tasted on the ground.  The accompanying vegetables was rather interesting, much like those in the combini bentos.  I couldn't decipher if the cold noodles was udon or soba, because it came accompanied with a dipping sauce, much like cold soba.  The noodles were sticking together and the sauce made them tasted better.  There was reliable kamaboko and burdock in the zensai.  Dessert was Haagen Dazs vanilla ice-cream, which was too sweet, and didn't have enough of a real vanilla taste for me to finish my cup.  I would have preferred Ben and Jerry's Totally Baked.


No comments:

Post a Comment