12 Dec 2012

Myanmar: Eating onboard Myanmar Airways [On the plane]

I didn't have high expectations of food that was to be served onboard Myanmar Airways, having been set up in August 1993.  Also, Myanmar had recently opened up to the world, so I had zero expectations.

Service was rather good.  The stewardnesses offered a wet tissue (instead of a hot towel at other airline) upon embarkation.  Once the flight was at cruise height, peanuts and a drink was offered.  I thought some airlines had done away with this "luxury" to cut costs.  I always appreciate the peanuts and drink as they settle the hungry tummy a little while waiting for the meal service.

The meal service had a choice of 2 mains, fish with noodles (unter) or chicken with rice (oben).  As appetizer, a kind of Myanmese vemillicin (I think) was served.  In addition to the usual bread and butter, dessert was a chunk of cake.

The chicken with rice was rather like the Malay dish nasi lemak, with fried peanuts and ikan bilis on the side.  Fish with noodles was served with stirfried green vegetables.

The food wasn't fantastically good, but then, flight meals on economy are never something to rave about.  I haven't flew on a class better than economy, but I heard on some business class, meals were served on china.  Does food taste better in the other classes, I wonder?

The serving portion was rather satisfactory, and the meats weren't dry and tough like the earlier days of flying, when the stewardnesses probably overheated the food.  Still, I kinda miss those days when the meal tray was literally packed to the edges with an appetizer, main, dessert, fruits, bread and butter AND cheese and crackers.

No comments:

Post a Comment