8 Dec 2012

Bother frequent flyer miles

I flew by Cathay Pacific in October, and signed up for the Asia Miles membership during checkin.  The lady handling my checkin assured me that I would start accumulating miles with my flight, and that I would receive my membership card in four to six weeks.

On my return flight from Fukuoka, I handed over my passport and the temporary Asia Miles membership during checkin and the agent processed my checkin as per normal.

It's now December, and more than 6 weeks since I filled out that Asia Miles application form, but no card has arrived in the mail.  I couldn't check any infomation on the Asia Miles website because it required a PIN, and I haven't any.  When I keyed in my email, a message appeared, saying that my membership card number and my email address did not match.

I made one frustrating call to the Asia Miles call centre, where a call agent said that a card would only be sent if there are miles accrued.  I could practically hear her rolling her eyes through her tone, making me feel as if I was lying that I flew.  So does that mean the round trip I took doesn't accrue any frequent flyer miles?  Then it totally contradicts what the agent at the airport had informed me!  Who is right?

I then tried to apply online, but was rejected as the system said it seems like I already had a profile.  Of course I do!  I submitted my application form at the airport checkin counter!

This is so frustrating and a total different experience I had with the ANA mileage club.  I filled up an application form at the airport as well, and received my membership card within the timeline stated.  I also received followup statements, and the call agents are always nice and polite when I call to enquire about things.  Either the call agents are better trained, or they have more pride being part of the ANA family.

Unfortunately, recently I fly by Cathay Pacific instead because flights to Japan are cheaper than ANA's, and I'm not terribly fond of transiting at Narita Airport.  Chek Lap Kok Airport has nice Hong Kong souvenirs that I can buy, but may be I should stop watching my purse so tightly and switch to ANA instead, so that I can land at Itami, and stay at a different area of Osaka!

No comments:

Post a Comment