2 Feb 2019

Eating onboard Singapore Airlines [On the plane]

Airlines offer special meals which can be ordered in advance, in addition to the 2 choices of mains offered onboard.

Singapore Airlines offered a few types of vegetarian meals, and a Jain vegetarian was pre-ordered.  Jain vegetarian is really strict vegetarian food, and the crew confirming and serving were a little surprised that the passenger was a non-Indian.  

Special meals are heated and served earlier than the normal meals.  Hence when the tray was brought to the seat, the cabin was not permeated with the smell of food.

The Jain vegetarian meal came with a main, macaroni salad, fruit, wholemeal bun and plain meiji yoghurt.  The main consisted of fragrant long-grained rice, which I forgot to ask the crew if it was ponni or basmati rice, spicy curry and shredded coconuts and green peas.  The rice was light and fragrant and the shredded coconuts and green peas were surprisingly good such that despite it not being my meal, I helped myself to mouthfuls of the rice and coconuts.  Definitely interesting, although I wished the curry was a lot less spicy.
 

The international choice for mains was fish with mashed potatoes , carrots and broccoli.  Dessert was ice-cream of dark and milk chocolate.  The fish didn't taste very good - fishy smell even in the very very cold cabin, so I could imagine how much fishier it would have tasted on the ground at normal room temperature.  The ice-cream had an okay balance between the bitterness of dark chocolate and sweetness of milk chocolate but I though the portion was a little too large.


 The oriental choice for mains was black pepper chicken with chinese noodles, which thankfully tasted better than the fish, and I was so glad I picked chicken this time when I normally would have requested for the fish.  There were 2 prawns in the salad, and it would have been a week later when I next saw prawns in my meal.



An oriental vegetarian meal was pre-ordered, and it consisted of a main, with brinjal salad and peach jelly as dessert.  The main consisted of rice with a little sprinkling of plum powder, tofu ball and vegetables.  Both the main and the salad were forgettable, but the fragrant peach jelly saved the meal, and of course, not forgetting the strawberry and vanilla Hagen Daaz ice-cream that was also served.

I picked the oriental choice for main, which consisted of pork in brown sauce, fried rice and vegetables.  Salad was some cucumber salad which I didn't really like due to the vinegar added to the cucumber.  The pork was tender enough, and I was surprised to eat fried rice on board.  It was not too bad, although it definitely cannot compare to ground-fried fried rice with good wok hei.  Perhaps I was in a happier mood as for the first time, I brought my own bag of taco chips to munch on the plane, and that certainly put me in a better mood than those tiny packets of peanuts that airlines offer. 


No comments:

Post a Comment