6 Nov 2014

Skyr [スイーツ]

When we were deposited at the Grand Hotel in Reykjavik, I saw rows of Skyr sitting in an open refrigerated shelf next to the bar counter at the lobby. The packaging was that of yogurt, and I thought it strange for yogurt to be displayed so prominently.
 
At the dinner buffet, there was a bowl of Skyr and a bowl of yogurt. Weren’t they the same?!

Apparently not. Skyr was much less watery compared to yogurt and had an unexplained wholesomeness, which I left found out was probably due to the higher protein content in Skyr as compared to yogurt. Being more viscous, Skyr was more for “eating” and yogurt for “slurping” or “drinking”.

I took to Skyr so much like fish to water that I was eating it during breakfast, lunch and dinner and bought extra servings to eat on the bus every time we stopped for toilet breaks and there was Skyr to be bought. I think I tried practically every flavor there was, but I don’t think the banana flavor sat too good with me. Blueberries and strawberries are my favorites.
 
Having eaten tons of Skyr in Iceland, I now feel that yogurt holds a pale candle to Skyr, which I now have to make peace with, until I can find Skyr here. Sigh. So having Skyr cravings…..

No comments:

Post a Comment