20 Jun 2014

Eating in Okinawa ~ Part 3 [日本料理]

An interesting discovery is Jushii.   This is rice cooked with pork, konbu and maybe carrots, done Okinawa style.  I ordered it and ate it without knowing what it was.  Jushii is not found commonly outside Okinawa, I think.  At least, I had never seen it on a menu anywhere else.  The staff who was helping me with my order at the ticket vending machine couldn’t explain what Jushii was.  He was going “uh, Jushii is Jushii…..”  until the cook came over and said Gohan (rice).  Okay, I can eat a small bowl of rice in addition to ramen.  Jushii is delicious and could be a complete meal by itself.  Next time, I am going to order Jushii and know what I am ordering.  I wonder why it didn’t occur to the staff that since their shop sits on Kokusai dori, there must be tourists who have no idea what Jushii is. 

No comments:

Post a Comment