18 Sept 2013

INSPIRE Travel Magazine

I picked up a copy of the Summer Holidays Edition of the INSPIRE Travel magazine, which costs USD 60 for 4 issues.  INSPIRE Travel purports to “unrevelling (sic) best kept destination secrets across the globe, INSPIRE Travel offers authentic experiences for the discerning luxury traveler in you” and targets millionaires and business tycoons as its readers. 



It was an eye-opening feast for my proletariatian eyes to see spread after spread of luxury hotel rooms from the likes of St. Regis, Regent Phucket and countless other spa hotels in Seminyak (Bali, Indonesia).  If the hotel advertisements were angled to target the Magazine’s target readers, spas costing USD 400 and villas with attached pools are the way to truly enjoy one’s vacation.   One hotel had a tub in the middle of a room that opened out to beautiful sunset! And to think it only costs fabulously wealthy people only a very economical USD 12 every quarter to know where the best hotels are.

To think that my bourgeois aspirations for a hotel room was one that had room for me to walk with a suitcase lying open on the floor, and with free breakfast thrown in, all for, at a very preferable price of less than USD 150.  No wonder my vacations are usually a struggle to find floor space to walk in my hotel room without tripping over furniture or my suitcase and bags on the floor, instead of sipping cocktails by my own private pool attached to a roomy five-room villa with my personal butler and chef.

Surprisingly, from the Magazine, it seems that wealthy people also retained vestiges of bourgeois-like behavior of wanting to stay/own/eat at places/things that other famous and wealthy people have.  Hotels recommended in the Magazine counted Hollywood celebrities as their customers.  So did Baldi, an Italian company that came into possession of three huge crystals from the Amazon which were carved into bathtubs, one of which was sold for USD 1 Million to the daughter of the man who owns F1.  Wow.  USD 1 Million must really be small change to really wealthy people for them to spend it on a bathtub.  I wonder if soaking in an Amazon crystal tub makes the skin smoother.  Apparently, Hollywood celebrities would fork out USD 2000 for shoes by Charlotte Olympia.  The Birds of Paradise from Charlotte Olympia had, instead of a normal heel, a golden cage trapping a brightly coloured tiny parrot, which “lend (sic) evening look an exotic twist”.  How appropriate for the red carpet and for camera lens to zoom in at the feet!  I feel so at ease now, knowing that my starving myself to save up for the Hermes Birkins bag is not a sign of my superficiality, as my mother constantly believes.   

There were beautiful spreads of the Igazu Falls in Brazil, Santorini Island in Greece and of Angkor Wat in Cambodia.  A 10-day experience offered by Quintessentially of Cambodia costs about USD 22,142 per couple.  However, I was a little confused by the write-ups on those.  How do they belong to the Magazine’s category of “best kept destination secrets”?  Santorini Island is overrun by tourists every summer, and Angkor Wat isn’t exactly off the beaten path either.  Igazu Falls is not exactly accessible to most people from the northern hemisphere, but when one has access to private jets, or owns private jets, no destination is theoretically inaccessible.  The 10-day experience in Cambodia must be totally unforgettable.  It set my Hermes Birkins dream back by USD 600 for a 5-day trip in Cambodia, and my experience must have been one-nineteenth time of that offered by Quintessentially.  I wonder, if I return to Cambodia 19 times, would I eventually have the same one-time 10-day experience?

No comments:

Post a Comment