5 Jul 2013

散らし寿司 @ Ikyu [日本料理]

 
I had 散らし寿司 at the painfully-hip Ikyu (at least for me, the once down-to-earth area has been ata-ised by hip and often expensive cafes, bistros and bakeries).
 
散らし寿司 has always been a good food memory for me, having eating my first at a restaurant near the 平和公園 at Gotemba.  But somehow, many mid-priced restaurants here do not serve 散らし寿司, and if they do, are priced more expensively than other set meals.  Also, the portions of fresh fishes are not as generous as those in Japan.
 
On a not-too-thick bed of well-vinegared bed of sushi rice of the 散らし寿司 were maguro, salmon, ika and amatamago.  Strips of nori completed the 散らし寿司.
 
Freshness was certainly not an issue at Ikyu.  In fact, the maguro was beautiful.  The salmon, like the maguro, were suitably fatty but not overwhelming so.  Alas, the portion was really too small, even for lunch.  I would have preferred if the fishes came in slices, like the one I ate at a restaurant near the 平和公園 instead of the cubed form at Ikyu.  And when the fish is fresh, I would really have loved to eat more of it, sashimi-style.
 
The service staff at Ikyu recommended a yuzu tea to go with the 散らし寿司.  It was a refreshing drink for a hot day, even when served warm.  But at $4 a glass, it will remain an occasional indulgence.  I could, of course, make myself cheaper yuzu tea from yuzu jam bought in Japan, but that remains one of those good-to-do things for me.


No comments:

Post a Comment