13 Apr 2024

ナスセット and 天ぷらセイロ[日本料理]

I usually don't choose to eat soba, but on a particularly hungry day where the queue outside the soba chaya looked like it was actually moving, I decided to give in to my hunger instead of queuing outside a brunch cafe where the queue did not move for 15mins.

The soba chaya offered an interesting set meal with dry soba (with brinjal, shrimps and okra) and flavoured rice.  It was an interesting concept, and I must say I was quite surprised that the traditional-looking chaya had attempted a spaghetti-like dish using soba.  Both the soba and rice were delish.

The soba chaya surprised me again with the tempura zarusoba set.  I had eaten at tempura specialty restaurants where the tempura batter was heavy and soggy with oil and I reeked of the restaurant even after washing my hair three times.  I had almost given up eating tempura.  This tempura batter was light, refreshing and I did not smell of the chaya after that.  This was the BEST tempura I have ever eaten, and had me a tempura convert once more. 

Recently I search the floor guide of Daimaru Tenjin and could not find this soba chaya.  I hope that business had temporarily halted only because Daimaru is remodelling its restaurant floors.  Because this soba chaya is probably the only reason why I would return to this particular Daimaru once more.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment