29 Jul 2021

My Roommate is a Gumiho 간 떨어지는 동거 [tvN]

My Roommate is a Gumiho is a 2021 16-episode fantasy rom-com with Jang Ki-yong and Lee Hye-ri in the lead roles of the Gumiho and his human love interest.  I'm not familiar with Gumiho, I suppose there might some similarities with Kitsune, both being of East Asian folklore.

From the beginning, My Roommate is a Gumiho felt deja vu-ish like Hotel del Luna, as one of the lead character is a long-living being who lived through ancient Korea till present-day Korea, is charming and obviously had a looooong time to accumulate plenty of material riches and is capable of conjuring magical powers - how convenient in times of need.

Unlike the hotelier in Hotel del Luna, the Gumiho is not a human being, and so, in his words, he mimics human behavior without being able to experience emotions.  Coming off Mouse, this self confession of the Gumiho could be mistaken for what a psychopath would say.  Hmmmmm food for thought?

The set that passed for the house of the filthy-rich Gumiho seems familiarish with that in the Guardian: The Lonely and Great God, with the double-storied high living room that none of the characters ever ascended to, but once again, the lighting is done quite well, that I didn't feel this disjointed feeling when the scenes at the external of the house shifted to the internal.

In fact, at the first view episodes of My Roommate is a Gumiho, I kept having the deja vu-ish feeling that the broad storyline is quite similar to that of  Guardian: The Lonely and Great God too.  The same long-living fabulously rich male and a young cinderella who strangely prefers a non-human as her love interest rather than her fellow human beings.  Yet compared to the Guardian, My Roommate is a Gumiho is a fluffy drama which sorta left me feeling rather vexed at the sheer vacuous-ness of it by the time I was at episode 12 that if not for the fact that I needed a lightweight drama as a counterpoint while watching the far more intense Voice 4 and The Good Detective concurrently.

And what is with all that pink lipbalm that the male actors wear in this drama?!

No comments:

Post a Comment