13 Jul 2021

Angel's Last Mission: Love 단, 하나의 사랑 [KBS]

Finally made it through the 32-episode 2019 KBS drama Angel's Last Mission.  

Picked this to watch due to:

1. Shin Hye-sun: having watched her performance in Mr Queen, I was curious to see her work in a modern setting

2. The backstory of a ballerina who went blind and regained her sight:  there aren't many dramas with ballet as a element of the story, likely because there aren't many ballet dancers who are concurrently actors/actresses - hence in all likelihood, a real ballet company would have to be hired to prop up all the dance scenes.

As the drama progressed, I found myself going Argh! increasingly frequently.  

I don't quite get the plot, especially the romance between Shin Hye-sun's character and Angel Dan and the convoluted reason for both of them wanting to die so that the other could live.

For a drama where the female lead is a ballerina, there wasn't enough ballet-on-stage for me.  Most ballet scenes depicted warming up sessions, barre exercises, or little bits of rehearsals.  Giselle was sooooo hyped up in the drama, but it was never presented in full on stage.  I know it's difficult when the lead is not a professional ballerina, but still it was a disappointment.

Shin Hye-sun's character had plenty of costume changes.  In fact I don't think she appeared in an outfit twice.  Yet somehow, the costumes don't evoke that feeling of woah! I had when I watched IU's costume changes in Hotel del Luna.  The outfits picked for Shin Hye-sun just didn't pop.  And it was odd being able to see her legs.  Guess I got too used to seeing Shin Hye-sun in hanbok in Mr Queen I forgot she actually had legs.

At 32 episodes, Angel's Last Mission was simply too draggy and exhausting to watch.  I think I might just stick to shorter dramas.

No comments:

Post a Comment