11 Mar 2020

Peranakan Food [ニョニャ料理]

Recently had peranakan food from a classic peranakan restaurant.

The food was catered in, but all the proper restaurant service was done.  There was a menu card for each diner, placemats and metal cutlery laid out (although I would have preferred that chopsticks and soup spoons were laid out, given that peranakan food is served).

Starters were duck salad and 2 kwee pie tee.  Presentation-wise the starters were inviting, but the aflafa sprounts on which the smoked duck sat down had the raw taste which I disliked and hence did not finish the starters.


Hee Peow Soup was served next.  Oh, and I don't understand why each dish was served dish by dish, unlike how food was served at Candlenut, where I could take my time with my soup and not feel obliged to finish it before the next dish was served.

There was an orange prawn ball, fishball, fish maw and cabbage in the soup.


There were 4 dishes accompanied by free-flow white rice.

Beef rendang which was done nice and a little too spicey for me, ayam buah keluat, chap chye masak titek (which was thankfully not spicey at all) and an assam fish (very nice).



Dessert was fresh fruits and sago gula melaka, which was a little disappointing as chendol would have made a more fruitful finish to the peranakan meal.

No comments:

Post a Comment