20 Apr 2016

Eating onboard ANA [On the plane]

 The last time I flew on ANA was almost 10 years ago, on a red-eye flight where I woke up to a salty breakfast of omelette and sausage.  Hence I was a bit apprehensive about the food for my flight.

Thankfully, the saltiness of the meals had been cut by quite a bit from what I remembered, so I had no complaints.

I picked the Japanese meal, which consisted of a main, soba, salad, fruits and a bread pudding.  Each meal tray came accompanied by a decent-sized bottle of water which I kept reusing.

The main consisted of rice with a sprinkling of black gome, teriyaki fish, peas, carrots and enoki.  Salad consisted of shelled shrimps, a cherry tomato, some greens and a wedge of lemon.  Fruits were a slice of dragon fruit and pineapple.  The meal is not what is normally served in a set meal in Japan.  At least I've never had dragon fruit and pineapple served to me while I was in Japan.  Yet the food is pretty decent.


 The vegetarian selection is more of a western vegetarian than oriental vegetarian, consisting of a main, a salad and fruit and bun.

This was the first time I've seen chick peas served on a flight, so there is some novelty there.
 One thing that I would really appreciate is when airlines include in the meal service something special from their home countries.  Malaysia Airlines served kueh lapis on flights to Kuching and I appreciated the introduction to what is a very popular and common snack sold on the streets of Kuching.  An interesting Japanese confectionary, or even a mochi would be a nice addition to the ANA meal service,

No comments:

Post a Comment