4 Jun 2013

Eating onboard Singapore Airlines [On the plane]

I selected the Japanese meal onboard a Singapore Airlines flight to Narita on the A380.
It was fortunate that the flight wasn't full, and I could have a double seat all to myself on the upper deck.
 
The senzai was some kinda squishy seaweed with roe that didn't taste very Japanese. 
Mains was rice with fried fish with some yuzu sauce.  The fish had become quite soggy by the time it was served, and I don't remember ever eating long beans in any of the meals I've had before in Japan.  Probably the mains was some chef's idea of fusion food. 
Cold soba was decent, though it's hard to go wrong with cold soba. 
The air stewardess was nice enough to let me have a extra serving of senbei.
Dessert was a disappointing chocolate cone.  I was kinda expecting either Haagen Daz or Ben and Jerry's like what Cathay Pacific served when I flew to Japan previously.
 
Despite finishing everything that was served, I was hungry again about an hour and a half later, without moving much of my limbs except to go to the toilet.  I requested for cup noodles which thankfully kept my blood glucose level enough to last me till a very late dinner at the hotel.
 

Food served on the flight from Kansai was better. 
I chose the international meal with a starter of salmon and some apple salad.  The salmon wasn't sashimi-good, but it was a pleasant enough start to the meal.
Mains was beed and Fettuccini served with boiled carrots and broccoli.  It tasted better than the mains from the flight to Narita.  However, I had slight regret when I saw the Japanese selection that a fellow passenger had selected.  The senzai looked so much more appealing that the senzai I had previously!
Dessert was Haagen Daz vanilla ice cream. 
I wonder if meals catered from Japan are now more value for money because of the weak Japanese Yen.

Again, despite finishing everything that was served, including the cheese and two glasses of tomato juice (Heinz tomato juice is certainly more delicious that the one I had on another airline which was downright awful), I was hungry again about an hour and a half later.  Again, it was another cup noodle to sooth my rumbling tummy.

Singapore Airlines is a premier full service airline, and it would not be too much to expect a more consistent quality of food served, even for economy class.  Also, the air stewardesses ought to be better trained before they are sent out to serve.  The air stewardess serving the section I sat in forgot my request for water, did not give me a scope for the ice cream and was quite slow in serving the meals.  She also frequently overshot her destination and had to backtrack to the correct passengers with their drinks.  It didn't help that a rumbling tummy would be angry when the other sections were served their meals twice as fast as my section.

No comments:

Post a Comment